Search the Knowledge Base:
Using Fixed Disk Mode on RDX QuikStor USB3 Docks
(KB # 3A58BB06)
RDX QuikStor USB3 dock firmware is shipped from the factory configured in removable disk mode. The RDX dock will appear as a removable drive bay and any media inserted into the dock will appear as removable media to the host.
RDX QuikStor USB3 dock firmware includes a feature which allows the RDX dock to appear to the host as a fixed disk device instead of removable disk device when a cartridge is inserted. This feature is useful for interoperability with versions of Microsoft Windows built-in backup which limit backup features supported on disks reported as removable disks. When a cartridge is not inserted, the dock will appear as a removable disk with no media. The dock will briefly disconnect from the host and reconnect when changing between fixed and removable disk modes.
If your backup application supports removable disk or if you plan to use RDX for drag and drop operations you should use the RDX dock in removable disk mode for maximum compatibility and support of software eject features.
However, if you need compatibility with a backup application such as Windows Backup which does not support removable disk with all features, you may want to consider switching the RDX dock to fixed disk mode.
"Warning: if you press the eject button in fixed disk mode and while you are writing Data to RDX Media this will interrupt the write operation immediately and eject the
Changing Dock Configuration to Fixed Disk Mode
You may change modes between fixed or removable disk either through software or a service menu button press sequence directly on the dock.
First, make sure you have the latest firmware installed. Click here for latest available firmware instructions.
Next, decide whether you'd like to change modes using host software on Windows or through the service menu button press sequence.
Configure Fixed Disk Mode Using Host Software
Please follow these instructions to configure fixed disk mode using host software.
- Make sure you have the latest Windows Software Installed.
- Eject any installed RDX cartridge.
- Open RDX Utility and double click on the RDX dock in the list.
- Select the "Utility" tab and click the "Change Device Mode" button
- Select "Fixed Disk" and click the "OK" button
- The cartridge will now be in fixed disk mode. To switch back to removable disk mode, select "Removable Disk" in the "Change Device Mode" menu.
Configure Fixed Disk Mode Using Service Menu Button Presses
- Eject any installed RDX cartrdige
- Press and hold the eject button for 5 seconds to enter the Service Mode, until the eject button begins flashing alternating amber and green.
- Press and release the eject button. The eject button should now flash in a sequence with a single amber blink and two green blinks. This indicates that the fixed disk mode is selected.
- Press and release the eject button quickly twice within a half second. A series of green blinks mean the change was applied. The device should now be in Fixed Disk Mode.
- To switch back to removable disk mode, press and hold the eject button for 5 seconds to enter the Service Mode and then press and release the eject button quickly twice within a half second while the alternating amber and green LED sequence is displayed.